Written by: Gabriela Meza Armenta – Marketing and Business Development Manager at Lignopure
Sustainability is an increasingly important factor in the cosmetic industry, and many companies are now looking for ways to source and use sustainable ingredients in their products as well as reformulating and creating new products to have less impact on the environment, human health and create positive social impact.
There are several advantages of transitioning to more sustainable cosmetics, both for consumers and the environment. By being products that are produced and used in a way that minimizes their impact on the environment, promotes ethical practices, and supports a sustainable future. Equally important is that sustainable cosmetics also prioritize ethical practices such as fair-trade sourcing and the use of cruelty-free and vegan ingredients.
Overall, sustainable cosmetics can offer a range of benefits for consumers and the environment, including:
- Reduce the environmental impact: Sustainable cosmetics are designed to minimize their impact on the environment, through the use of sustainable ingredients, eco-friendly packaging, and reduced energy use during production.
- Improved health and safety: Many sustainable cosmetics are free from harmful chemicals and toxins, such as parabens and phthalates, which can be harmful to human health. By using natural and organic ingredients, sustainable cosmetics can help to promote healthier skin and overall well-being.
- Support for ethical and sustainable practices: By choosing sustainable cosmetics, consumers can support companies that prioritize ethical and sustainable practices, such as fair trade sourcing, animal welfare, and environmentally friendly production methods.
- Better quality products: Sustainable cosmetics are often made from high-quality, natural ingredients that can provide superior results compared to synthetic or mass-produced products. They can also be gentler on the skin and less likely to cause irritation or allergic reactions.
- Contribution to a more sustainable future: By supporting sustainable cosmetics, consumers can help to promote a more sustainable future for the cosmetics industry and reduce the impact of the industry on the environment.
Sustainable cosmetic ingredients
In the last years, there has been great development in the field of sustainable cosmetic ingredient manufacturing. By choosing these ingredients, brands and formulators aim to support environmentally friendly practices in the cosmetic industry. Another great outcome of this is to give consumers more natural and sustainable alternatives to conventional formulations that contain ingredients that have created health and environmental concerns and are slowly being more and more regulated.
Some examples of sustainable cosmetic ingredients are:
- Plant-based ingredients: Many cosmetic ingredients are derived from plants, which can be a sustainable source of raw materials.
- Fairtrade ingredients: Fairtrade ingredients are sourced from producers who are paid a fair price for their work, which helps to support sustainable practices and improve the livelihoods of local communities.
- Recycled and upcycled ingredients: Some cosmetic companies are now using recycled or upcycled ingredients, which helps to reduce waste and promote sustainability. A great example of this is our LignoBase line, the first upcycled lignin-based ingredient line that transfers the natural properties of lignin into cosmetic formulations.
- Biodegradable ingredients: Biodegradable ingredients are designed to break down naturally in the environment, reducing the amount of waste generated by cosmetic products.
- Organic ingredients: Organic ingredients are grown without the use of synthetic pesticides or fertilizers, which can be harmful to the environment.
A great example of sustainable cosmetic ingredients is Lignopure’s LignoBases line. These three LignoBases are not only upcycled but are plant-based and come from plants that have been cultivated without pesticides in countries that follow the Nagoya Protocol, which seeks to protect the conservation and sustainable use of our biodiversity.
Sustainability in the cosmetic industry matters
We at Lignopure believe that green innovation that supports the development of sustainable cosmetics is very important because of the collective need to reduce the impact of the cosmetics industry on the environment and human health. Additionally, the demand for sustainable cosmetics helps to create a more sustainable future for the cosmetics industry by promoting the use of eco-friendly practices, ethical sourcing, and innovative solutions to reduce waste and pollution.
In brief, the cosmetic industry, like others, has been known to cause pollution, greenhouse gas emissions, and waste, as well as using harmful chemicals that can harm human health. Sustainable cosmetics offer a solution to these problems, promoting healthier skin and a healthier planet.